AKH Inc., Advancing Knowledge in Healthcare is an independent provider of accredited continuing education for individual healthcare professionals and the entire healthcare team.
As an independent provider of accredited continuing education for health care professionals, it is the mission of AKH to provide comprehensive and innovative continuing education activities in support of efforts by health care providers, health care organizations, and professional organizations/societies for healthcare providers.
AKH promotes excellence in accredited CE for physicians, nurses, pharmacists, nurse practitioners, dietitians, and other healthcare professionals. AKH strives to achieve this mission utilizing a variety of educational methods providing evidence-based, current, and practical information on topics designed to enhance skills/strategy and performance of the healthcare team, and/or patient outcomes as a result of this program.
Included in this mission is AKH’s guiding principle to ensure independence, balance, objectivity, scientific rigor, and integrity in all educational activities.
Values and Beliefs
- The knowledge that guides the activities of health industry professionals is dynamic and constantly evolving.
- The healthcare professional is an adult learner capable of determining his/her educational needs and choosing instructional methods best suited for individual learning.
- The education of healthcare professionals is an ever-changing, on-going process that encompasses the professionals, clients/patients, and the community.
- The healthcare environment is a complex system with complex processes and multiple health professionals working in collaboration toward quality patient care.
- Learning styles are individual and thus accredited continuing education must be provided in a variety of levels and formats.
- Evidence drives the professional practice of healthcare professionals.
- Evidence drives the development of new educational methods.
- Interprofessional accredited continuing education is developed by the healthcare team for the healthcare team to optimize patient outcomes.
- Partnerships and collaborative relationships with universities, hospitals, societies, and medical-education companies enhance the development of accredited continuing education and expand their reach.
The content of the activities provided or jointly-provided is determined through the analysis of needs and knowledge/performance gaps. The content of AKH programs includes primary care, specialty care, subspecialty care, practice management, and research methodology. Interprofessional accredited continuing education addresses the roles/responsibilities, ethics/values, interprofessional communication, teams and the teamwork of the healthcare team and competencies as identified by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and professional competencies.
AKH activities are designed to meet the needs of practicing healthcare professionals (physicians, pharmacists, nurses, nurse practitioners, dentists, dietitians, and other healthcare professions). The scope of the target audience is evaluated and promoted for each activity provided.
Types of Activities
AKH offers directly-provided and jointly-provided activities in traditional and non-traditional formats which include:
- Live workshops, symposia, audio-conferences, web-conferences, clinical workshops with hands-on participation
- Enduring monographs, web-monographs, multi-media web/CD/DVD, podcasts, interactive case-studies, CE based communities of practice; and
- Live virtual conferences, symposia, and activities
AKH activities should result in changes in the participants’ knowledge and proficiency with the incorporation of these changes into clinical practice through an improvement in practitioner knowledge, skills/strategies and/or performance.
The CE Program implements a variety of measurements to assess the activity outcome, which may occur at any or all of the following levels:
- Participation (Level 1)
- Satisfaction (Level 2)
- Learning – Declarative Knowledge (Level 3A)
- Learning – Procedural Knowledge (Level 3B)
- Competence (Level 4)
- Performance (Level 5)
- Patient Health (Level 6)
- Community Health (Level 7)